Monday, December 7, 2009

No Starving Artists




















Jeff Schomay Graphic Design

How many of us are familiar with the "term" and acceptance that at some point in our "artistic careers", Present or Past, consisted of exotic ways to prepare the 10 for one dollar Ramen Dinners.

I see a few hands raised, in answer to that question.

I among you, have experienced this personally, although I have to admit it has not occurred recently or for many years, there was a time where I was very creative in my 1001 ways to dine for less than $1.00

I am certainly glad those days are over ~ but as with the perception that this economy has defined that it is not possible to be creative, to work, to play or to make money,in the arts, I am suggesting a GROUP PROJECT, for all of those who are willing to admit that they spent even ONE minute creating new ways to dine on Ramen Noodles.







I will be sharing my favorite combinations and would ask of you to consider the same.
It will be enlightening to discover just how creative one can be at the times when it felt like the sky was falling upon your head...

We'll delight in all the variations AND we will select the best recipes, which of course will have to be tested ~ That will be the fun part ~ to determine which recipes go into a series of books on the topic of

"Sustaining oneself in the arts...Or How not to become like the cartoon character posted above"

"Thank you Jeff Schomay"

All it takes is a little bit of "creativity"

Sian Lindemann
Sian Design
http://www.SianDesign.com
http://www.SianDesign.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Top Ramen has been a staple in my diet for many years. My children have also grown to love Top Ramen. We always have Top Ramen on hand... Chicken flavor.

    Two days ago, I had Top Ramen with left over turkey and celery (and of course additional spices).

    My children eat Top Ramen from a baggie.
    1) Remove the noodles from the Top Ramen plastic wrap and place into a sandwich size baggie.
    2) Seal the baggie and smash the noodles with your fist (good anxiety relief as well).
    3) Open the baggie. Open the seasoning. Pour the seasoning into the baggie, seal and shake.
    4) Open the baggie and eat Top Ramen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Filet of Sole and Grapes.....ala Ramen

    Chicken Flavor Top Ramen
    Filet of Sole or any mild white fish
    Mayonnaise
    Toasted Slivered Almonds
    Green Seedless Grapes

    Cook up the broth with the seasoning packet from the Chicken Ramen by adding just enough water to moisten, a few pats of butter and let simmer.....

    Spread Fish Filets with Salt and Pepper, and Mayonnaise....

    Pour half of the broth mixture over the fish filets and broil until just no longer opaque

    Add Slivered Almonds to the top of the fish...
    Broil just a few minutes more

    Add green grapes to the rest of the liquid mixture to warm them

    Once fish is broiled, Pour the rest of the broth and graped over the fish and serve over Pasta or Rice

    Delish !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - when I was eating predominantly ramen I really had no money for much of anything else. So, if I was lucky I had some frozen peas which I would add to the regular mix, and then on a really good day, add an egg ala egg-drop soup. It wasn't much, but it did taste good. On other days a little lemon, lime, or tabasco sauce would be added for additional flavor. And, to drink a one to two lemon and/or limeade.

    Here's my recipe:

    Savory Ramen and Beverage

    Ingredients:
    Package of Ramen
    Frozen Peas
    1 Egg
    1 Lemon
    1 Lime
    Small amount Fresh Cilantro
    Tabasco sauce
    Sugar

    Preparation:

    Start preparing ramen in traditional way.
    Add frozen peas at the same time as ramen.
    Scramble one egg. Slowly drizzle egg mixture into ramen.
    Add a couple pinches of freshly chopped cilantro.
    Slice lemon and lime in halves. Squeeze a few drops of the juice from each in the ramen.
    Add a few drops of Tabasco sauce, to taste.

    Beverage:
    Squeeze the remaining juice from the lime and lemon into a glass.
    Add 1-2 Tablespoons sugar, and stir, to taste.

    Serve ramen in your best bowl, or large coffee mug.

    A lit candle is always a nice addition to your feast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the LIT candle part ~ That is so great Halle ~ YOU rock...and thanks for posting ~

    ReplyDelete