Seth's Advice 30 days - 30 Blog Posts
I'm taking the advice I received today from Seth Godin's blog ~ http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/
I AM going to write a post a day on all the ways I can improve the services and products that my company provides to the market and I will ask you, my friends, to keep it on target ~ Let me know if what you read you find valuable and applicable to your own company and to your career as an artist.
DAY ONE
Yesterday I wrote a post titled "Visibility" and it received so much attention that I was astounded... and I was inspired. Something so simple was cause for such a significant discussion, that was, in fact, highly illuminating for me.
I have assumed that everyone knows that when you commit to your career, and I mean really COMMIT, that you will automatically garner a significant amount of new attention.
I was astounded to discover that many did not bank on this as a given...something that would occur automatically, and without your ability to control. People will love you. People will criticize you. And NOW in Social Media you'll find all kinds of reactions to your visibilty....and in the last few days I've discovered some fabulously interesting things.
I think EVERYONE wants to be famous ~ You know, the Warhol 15 minutes of Fame assurance.
I am deeply and absolutely wrong ~ HOW can this be ?
And its caused me to wonder why.
I have known since college that my decision to have become a Music Performance Major on Clarinet and the woodwind instruments, very soon lost its appeal ~ and I quit school after only one year in that program.
I realized that is was just not star powered enough for me. Playing clarinet in some Symphony Orchestra in somewhere obscure place in the "world" and potentially becoming the next great clarinet teacher was entirely WAY TOO ho hum right out of the gate.
Isn't it fascinating however, to discover that some 30 years later that ALL I WOULD want to do would be to teach, and even more surprising to find it the more rewarding time of my adult career in the Fine Arts....
Wake up Call !
And I've become known in the industry for being that teacher, mentor, catalyst and am now being very well recieved in the role. Funny however, that it didn't really catch fire until I started WRITING.....the ONE art form that has eluded me, caused me more frustration and angst than any other art forms in which I have immersed....
and so be it...I am now committing to writing one blog post a day ... just for the practice and the "brevity" of conveyance of ideas.
Lesson Learned...
1) Fame...Its NOT for everyone
2) Writing... PICK UP THE PEN Sian ! It appears the world likes your writing....so less talking, more writing ~
Seth you are correct ~ Two new products are now ready to "ship" ~
1)Classes are forming where I may teach what I know to other artists
2)Could these 30 blog posts become the book ????
So far so good ~ New products and services that my customers actually want !
WOW !
Thanks for listening ~
Let me know how I'm doing as we progress through the month.
Sian, I'm listening and watching you progress through the next 30 days...good for any transformation!! Maybe I'll follow your lead!
ReplyDeleteThank you
That is AWESOME Cheryl !
ReplyDelete